1952-1963 — A Changing Industry

While canvas played an important role in World War II, the post-war introduction of synthetic fibers and new weaving processes changed the industry. Canvas lost ground first to rayon and nylon in the 1940s and 1950s, polyester in the 1960s, polypropylene and acrylics in the 1970s, and then to the many specialty fibers in the 1980s.

Association member companies increasingly turned to these new synthetic-based fabrics, but it was not until the mid-1960s that the association began to realize it had to change to remain viable to its membership.

The National Canvas Goods Manufacturer’s Association began to expand beyond the U.S. borders, and changed its name to Canvas Products Association International (CPAI), in 1957 in recognition of the growing Canadian membership. The magazine then changed its name to the Canvas Products Review.

Campbell retired in 1960 and Yustin Wallrapp assumed dual roles as executive secretary and Review editor. Wallrapp, however, had a relatively short tenure, leaving in 1963. In his place, the Board of Directors hired Robert C. Mead.