The Geosynthetic Institute (GSI) will sponsor a webinar, “Testing of Geosynthetics,” on May 12, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. EDT. Geosynthetic Materials Association (GMA) member companies and their employees receive discounted rates on all GSI webinar and short course registrations.
There are more than 250 different geosynthetic-specific test methods covered by consensus in ASTM International standard methods and ISO norms. These methods are key to supporting tens of thousands of environmental, hydraulic, geotechnical and transportation projects throughout the world. Testing is done for the purpose of conformance to a specification, establishing statistical process control (SPC), and performance testing to verify design, research and development.
This webinar contains laboratory testing demonstrations of accredited physical, mechanical, hydraulic and endurance testing as it relates to geosynthetics. We will concentrate on the principles and guidance set forth by ISO 17025:2017, “General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories,” for good geosynthetic testing. A system for providing accurate and reliable results, as well as the risks associated with the results, will be discussed during this webinar.
- Understand the importance of laboratory testing
- Understand laboratory procedures used while testing geosynthetics
- Become educated on ISO 17025 quality systems
- Identify additional resources for lab managers and technicians
- Experience good geosynthetics testing established under controlled conditions
- Learn comprehensive quality control systems
- Ensure reputable results which can be compared to other results to establish reproducibility.
- Understanding uncertainty (i.e., risk) associated with each test
- Geosynthetic testing laboratory personnel
- Engineers and designers
- Federal, state and regional environmental engineers
- Manufacturers of geosynthetic materials
- Contractors and installers of geosynthetics
Specific topics covered
- Standard safety organizations
- ISO 17025
- Specimen preparation
- Physical testing
- Mechanical testing
- Chemical fingerprinting/durability
- Soil Interaction
- Summary and conclusion
George R. Koerner, Ph.D., P.E., and CQQ, is the director of the Geosynthetic Institute. He is in charge of laboratory accreditation, field certification and continuing education at the institute. He also manages several research projects and has published more than 350 technical papers in his 35-year association with polymers used in below-ground construction. Koerner’s Ph.D. is from Drexel University in geotechnical engineering. He is a registered professional engineer and a certified quality auditor. Koerner has received many awards over the years. The most notable being IFAI’s Environmental Technologies Award of Excellence 1995, ASCE’s DVGI Geotechnical Engineer of the year in 2004, the title of ASTM Fellow in 2013 and GMA’s first Robert M. Koerner Lecture and Award in 2017.
Webinars cost $200.00 for GSI and GMA members, and $250.00 for nonmembers. Successful completion of a multiple-choice test after the webinar carries 1.5 professional development hours (PDH).
For more information or to register, visit http://www.geosynthetic-institute.org/webinar.htm.